Header

Facebook Pinterest Blog Home

Friday, May 10, 2013

Adding Variety to Your Bulk Food Storage



 I found this insightful Question on the internet yesterday ...Pause to think of what you HAVE and what you might Add for variety to your bulk food storage.
STEP 1:
IF I HAVE: Wheat, Powdered Milk, Coconut Oil, Salt, Honey or Sugar, Water   (Cool - we've done all those in the last 6 months)
I CAN MAKE: Popped Wheat ,Steamed Wheat, Sprouted Wheat, Cooked Cracked Wheat, Tortillas
STEP 2
IF I ADD: Yeast, (or Sourdough Start), Baking Powder, Powdered Eggs, Baking Soda
I CAN MAKE THESE ADDITIONS: Custards, Puddings, Pancakes, Cookies, Waffles, Muffins, English Muffins, German Pancakes, Crepes, Egg Noodles, Pasta, Breads, Biscuits, Crackers, Mayonnaise. A lot more options huh? Keep reading.
STEP 3:
IF I ADD: Butter Buds, Tomatoes, Powdered Cheese
I CAN MAKE THESE ADDITIONS: Meatless Dinners, Meatless Casseroles, Cream Sauces These really add flavor.
STEP 4:
IF I ADD: Unflavored Gelatin, Canned Milk, Canned Fruits
I CAN MAKE THESE ADDITIONS: Jello Salads, Whipped Cream Desserts, Baby Formula, fruit dishes Mmm, now we have desserts.
STEP 5:
IF I ADD: Soup Base, Rice, Legumes (Beans), Beef Broth, Chicken Broth, Alfalfa Seeds, Sesame Seeds
I CAN MAKE THESE ADDITIONS: Hearty Dinner Soups, Chili, Rice Puddings, Refried Beans, Rice Dishes, Fresh Sprouts, Gluten This would really expand your dinner menu in an emergency.
STEP 6:
IF I ADD: Canned Meats, Dried Potatoes
I CAN MAKE THESE ADDITIONS: Dinners, Casseroles, Sandwiches. This may not sound like a lot but a meaty flavor can make all the difference.
STEP 7:
EXTRAS: Oats, Raisin, Nuts, Peanut Butter, Granola, Juices, Corn Starch, Soup Mixes, Spices & Flavorings, Lemon Powder or Juice, White Flour, Cream of Tartar, Junket Rennet Tablet - to make cheeses, Molasses, Karo Syrup, etc. These are small things that you could do without but really add variety to your diet.
What do you cook with? Add it to your food storage.  Share with me what YOUR Can't do without LIST looks like - it will help others.   

2 comments:

  1. That is a pretty exhaustinve list. I do have cocoa powdeer in bulk on my list regularly. Also I add garden seeds for all my favorite spices, such as, sage, cilantro, basil, parsley, thyme, rosemary, chamomile, echinacea, peppermint, lemon balm, and any other medicinal herbs that you might like to use. This year I have thrown myself into learning about herbs, medicinal and culinary, and their incredible nutrient contents. If a person gardens, it is pretty simple to pick up and grow couple new herbs each summer. In this incrimental way herbology is not overwhelming but fun. Thanks for all you do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted to thank you for this great read!! I definitely enjoying every little bit of it I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post. https://willies-website.yolasite.com/

    ReplyDelete